Touched By Our Little Angels - Jan 2008

During our second Happy Angels Jakarta project in 2006, Happy Angels had sent over 175 English books for the children in KDM. Since then, no new batch of books was sent over and the children were hunger for new English storybooks. With this in mind, our 5 little angels, namely Peisi, (11 years old), Jerell and Lovie (8 years old) and Qin Yong and Javier (7 years old), took over the assignment and collected over 300 English books over their December 2007 school holidays. These books were collected from neighbours, friends and relatives of the 'Oi' family. With the help of our Vice Chairman Boon Pin, these books are subsequently transported over on his various working trips to Jakarta. For those who had contributed in this project, Happy Angels thank you for the books that you had donated. All collected English books had reached the homes of KDM, Jakarta. Below is a story that one of our little angles, Tan Peisi, would like to share with everyone... In the distance, the sky grew brighter as the sun crept above the horizon lazily. The running of the buses and cars broke the silence of the quiet morning. I stifled a yawn and rubbed my bleary eyes. It's morning? I asked myself in a thought. Oh yeah! Today is supposed to be a day of Charity work. My aunt told me and my cousins to give out flyers to our neighboring blocks, telling them to donate old English storybooks. It is for an orphanage in Jakarta, KDM. I made a trip there, together with my cousins. It was really, really fun! Anyway, I waited till 3 pm for my aunt and cousins to come to my house for this meaningful activity. There are 5 of us. I am the oldest. The two younger boys get to stay home and played while the 3 of us get to work with our aunt. We went to the nearby market to photocopy our flyers and then we are ready to give them out. The 2 boys insisted to tag along and we let them do so only if they help us. The excitement of working together rolled over me in waves. It was easier as there are more people to help us. The sun sank below the horizon with a sigh, making me and some of us sigh too. "How many more ... units to.... go?" Javier and Qin Yong asked, panting after a few words, "About ...um...six storeys more?" I muttered, uncertain about the numeral. "C'mon, pizza's waiting," I teased "see ya later!" I called, already running to do more flyers-giving.... One week later, on 8 Dec 2007, my uncle from Jakarta came to help me with the collection of books. And together we went back to all the households who we had given out the flyers. For those who helped us by donating their old books, a hand made thank you card was given to them. By evening, we walked back slowly, catching some cool air after several rounds of running. I felt so glad that I did this with a willing heart as it was for people who had no money to buy good books. Therefore, a good deed deserves another. I can hardly wait to see how the students' response after receiving the storybooks we donated to them!

0 comments

Post a Comment